Ph.D. Application Checklist
To apply for admission to the University of Florida PhD Program in Health Services Research, applicants MUST complete BOTH of the following application procedures unless the applicant is currently enrolled at the University of Florida. Current University of Florida students do not have to apply through SOPHAS and can skip directly to Step II (Application for University of Florida Graduate Admission)
I. Submit an online application to the Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS), a service of the CEPH accredited schools of public health. The application can be found at: www.sophas.org.
II. Submit the University of Florida online Application by February 1st for Graduate Admission. The application can be found at:www.admissions.ufl.edu/phhp2009
Application period: November 1 – February 1.
Requirements for each application are outlined below.
I. Application Requirements for SOPHAS
(Applications should be submitted at: www.sophas.org)
- Complete the SOPHAS online application and pay the application fee. (Please note that the fee will vary according to the number of school designations)
- Arrange for GRE exam scores to be sent to SOPHAS
- Arrange to have one set of official transcripts from each institution attended sent to SOPHAS (the address is listed below)
- Arrange to have 3 Letters of Recommendation submitted.
- Submit your professional Statement of Purpose outlining objectives that match the philosophy and focus of the program.
- Submit a Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
SOPHAS Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 9111
Watertown, MA 02471
For Overnight Delivery Only:
c/o Liaison International
311 Arsenal Street
Watertown, MA 02472
II. Application Requirements for the University of Florida, Application for Graduate Admission
(Applications should be submitted at: www.admissions.ufl.edu/phhp2009)
- Complete the University of Florida Application for Graduate Admissions online and pay the non-refundable $30 application fee. You may pay online by credit card or send the application fee and other required materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions (the address is listed below). Please note that the $30US application fee is required from all students applying to a graduate program including current and former University of Florida students.
2. When completing the application:
- Under College/School, select Public Health and Health Professions (PHHP)
- Under Program/Major, select Health Services Research
- Note: The Statement of Purpose should be submitted in SOPHAS only. Therefore, when prompted to enter your Statement of Purpose on the UF Application for Graduate Admission, please type “Submitted in SOPHAS.” If you are a current UF student and not applying through SOPHAS, then submit the Statement of Purpose on the UF Application for Graduate Admission.
3. Arrange to have official transcripts from each previous institution attended (other than University of Florida) sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions (the address is listed below).
4. Arrange to have official GRE test scores sent directly to University of Florida. The University of Florida code is 5812. Please allow 6-8 weeks for the official scores to arrive.
5. Arrange to have official TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB scores sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions (International students only).
UF Office of Graduate Admissions
University of Florida
P.O. Box 2946
Gainesville, FL 32602-2946
Things to Remember..
- Original Transcripts and GRE exam scores should be sent to BOTH SOPHAS and the UF Graduate Admissions Office
- Items to be submitted to SOPHAS only: Online Application with Application Fee, 3 Letters of Recommendation, Statement of Purpose and Resume/CV
- Items to be submitted to the UF Graduate Admissions Office only: Online application, $30US application fee, GRE scores, English Proficiency Scores