Ph.D. Application Checklist
The HSR PhD track adheres to the minimum standards set forth by the University of Florida Graduate School, some of which include:
- A grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 (4-point system)
- Competitive Graduate Record Examine (GRE) scores. Combined GRE score of at least 310, Quantitative score at least 152. We do not accept GMAT scores.
- A recognized baccalaureate, graduate or professional degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or a comparable degree from an international institution
In addition, applicants must have completed and submitted an HSR application information package:
- A letter of proposed research interest
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation (one of which must be academic)
- Academic writing sample (class paper, first author manuscript)
Applicants are encouraged to visit the department prior to or during the application process. Interviews will also be scheduled independently.
Application period: November 1 – February 1.
To apply for admission to the University of Florida PhD Program in Health Services Research, applicants MUST complete BOTH of the application procedures noted below.
Current University of Florida students do not have to apply through SOPHAS and can skip directly to Step II (Application for University of Florida Graduate Admission – http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/forms.html
UF students that are applying directly after graduation from a UF masters program only need to submit an HSR application information package directly to the department (Statement of purpose/letter of proposed research, CV/resume, three letters of recommendation, academic writing/publication examples.) No online forms are required unless there is a gap in registration of two or more terms.
I. Submit an online application to the Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS), a service of the CEPH accredited schools of public health. The application can be found at: www.sophas.org.
II. Submit the University of Florida online Application by February 1st for Graduate Admission. The application can be found at: http://admissions.ufl.edu/apply/graduate/graduateapp
Requirements for each application are outlined below.
I. Application Requirements for SOPHAS
(Applications should be submitted at: www.sophas.org)
- Complete the SOPHAS online application and pay the application fee. (Please note that the fee will vary according to the number of school designations)
- Arrange for GRE exam scores to be sent to SOPHAS (use code 7769)
- Arrange to have one set of official transcripts from each institution attended sent to SOPHAS (the address is listed below)
- Arrange to have 3 Letters of Recommendation submitted.
- Submit your professional Statement of Purpose outlining objectives that match the philosophy and focus of the program.
- Submit a Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
SOPHAS Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 9111
Watertown, MA 02471
For Overnight Delivery Only:
c/o Liaison International
311 Arsenal Street
Watertown, MA 02472
II. Application Requirements for the University of Florida, Application for Graduate Admission
(Applications should be submitted at: http://admissions.ufl.edu/apply/graduate/graduateapp)
- Complete the University of Florida Application for Graduate Admissions online and pay the non-refundable $30 application fee. You may pay online by credit card or send the application fee and other required materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions (the address is listed below). Please note that the $30US application fee is required from all students applying to a graduate program including former University of Florida students.
2. When completing the application:
- Under College/School, select Public Health and Health Professions (PHHP)
- Under Program/Major, select Public Health (PHL), Health Services Research
- Note: The Statement of Purpose should be submitted in SOPHAS only. Therefore, when prompted to enter your Statement of Purpose on the UF Application for Graduate Admission, please type “Submitted in SOPHAS.” If you are a current UF student and not applying through SOPHAS, then submit the Statement of Purpose on the UF Application for Graduate Admission.
3. Arrange to have official transcripts from each previous institution attended (other than University of Florida) sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions (the address is listed below).
4. Arrange to have official GRE test scores sent directly to University of Florida. The University of Florida code is 5812. Please allow 6-8 weeks for the official scores to arrive.
5. Arrange to have official TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB scores sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions (International students only).
UF Office of Graduate Admissions
University of Florida
P.O. Box 2946
Gainesville, FL 32602-2946
*Note: Exemptions for English Language testing can be made if:
1) Citizen of a country where English is the official language, listed on the UF
Graduate School website at http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/apply/international/countries.html
2) Provide proof of spending at least one year as a full-time student at a college or
university in a country where English is the official language.
Things to Remember..
- Original Transcripts and GRE exam scores should be sent to BOTH SOPHAS and the UF Graduate Admissions Office
- Items to be submitted to SOPHAS only: Online Application with Application Fee, 3 Letters of Recommendation, Statement of Purpose and Resume/CV
- Items to be submitted to the UF Graduate Admissions Office only: Online application, $30USD application fee, GRE scores, English Proficiency Scores
If you have specific questions, please contact: Ikiah Young, Academic Programs Coordinator.