Minimum Admission Requirements
The Public Health, Health Services Research concentration (PH-HSR) Ph.D. adheres to the minimum standards set forth by the University of Florida Graduate School, including:
- A grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 (4-point system) for the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework based on the semester system.
- A recognized baccalaureate, graduate or professional degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or a comparable degree from an international institution.
- International applicants: English proficiency exam, such as a minimal score of 90 on the TOEFL. For a list of countries that are exempt from this requirement, please click here.
- Submission of all required application materials
All applicants must have submit the following documents:
- UF graduate application (must be submitted by all applicants not currently enrolled at UF)
- SOPHAS (Schools of Public Health Application Service) application (must be submitted by all applicants not currently enrolled at UF)
- Official transcripts for all prior institutions at the college or university level
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one must be academic)
- TOEFL scores (International applicants only)
- Two essays addressing the following questions:
- Enrolling in a PhD program is a large commitment of time, money, and effort. Tell us why you are interested in pursuing a PhD degree. Please also describe why you think our PhD program is a specific match for you.
- Please describe your research interests, and identify 1-2 faculty with whom you might be potentially interested in working.
The SOPHAS application and the UF Graduate application require different documents. The documents you must include with each application are shown by a check in the relevant boxes below.
Application Procedures for Non-UF Students:
- Submit an online application + fees to the Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS), a service of the CEPH accredited schools of public health. The application can be found at the SOPHAS website.
SOPHAS, P.O. Box 9111, Watertown, MA 02471
SOPHAS, c/o Liaison International 311 Arsenal Street, Watertown, MA 02472
2. Complete the University of Florida Application for Graduate Admissions online and pay the non-refundable $30 application fee. You may pay online by credit card or send the application fee and other required materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions (the address is listed below). Please note that the $30 U.S. application fee is required from all students applying to a graduate program, including former University of Florida students.
When completing the application:
- Under College/School, select Public Health and Health Professions (PHHP)
- Under Program/Major, select Public Health (PHL), Health Services Research
- Complete the UF online graduate application and pay the application fee
- When prompted to enter your Statement of Purpose on the UF application, please enter “Submitted in SOPHAS.”
- Arrange to have one set of official transcripts from each institution attended sent to UF (the address is listed below)
- Arrange to have official TOEFL scores sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions (International students only).
UF Office of Graduate Admissions, P.O. Box 2946, Gainesville, FL 32602-2946 (352) 392-1365
Application Procedures for Current UF Students:
UF students that are currently enrolled in a UF degree program do not need to complete an online application. Applicants currently enrolled in UF only need to submit CV/resume, three letters of recommendation and two essays directly to the department. Submit either in-person to the Health Professions, Nursing and Pharmacy building (HPNP), Third Floor, Room 3104 or by mail to:
PhD Admissions, P.O. Box 100195, Gainesville, FL 32610-0195
If you have specific questions, please contact:
Ikiah Young, Academic Programs Coordinator, email@example.com
Applicants are encouraged to visit the department prior to or during the application process. Interviews will be scheduled with competitive applicants.